Hi Brian,

On Friday 25 January 2008 02:13, Brian Pin wrote:
> I ported linux-uvc driver on our simple os system, which is quite the same
> as linux, since I ported the all the usb (hcd and hub, message..) from
> Linux.

Nice. Just out of curiosity, what kind of OS is this ? And what kind of
platform does it run on ? I'm always interested in hearing about real-life
projects using the Linux UVC driver.

> The question is our verification system runs at a FPGA platform and I can
> successfully connected to a Microsoft camera, get its descriptors and all
> probing and initialization procedures is done.
>
> When I started streaming, the frame rate is nearly 1~2 FPS, that is so
> confusing to me. I have tried settings from 800x600(30FPS), to
> 160x120(30FPS) none of them achieve higher than 2 FPS.
>
> My question is, although our FPGA runs at 40MHz, memory speed is 60~75MHz,
> is this possible to achieve 30FPS? We have an USB analyzer which captures
> lots of "IN" tokens from my host to the cam(one IN per microFrame), and the
> cam just responds with zero bytes data. When I test the device on PC , it
> works fine to 30FPS.

Do you use the same userspace software on your FPGA and on the PC ?

> So I am wondering if there is any cause that makes the device dynamically
> changing to slow framerate?

Lightning conditions might play a role but should not lower the frame rate
that much. Does your system have an EHCI (USB 2.0) controller ? USB 1.1 is
obviously slower, and if the camera doesn't support MJPEG compression frame
rates on USB 1.1 will be quite low.

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart