On 03/29/2011 10:26 PM, Paul Jurczak wrote:
</snip>

You could always install another PCI or PCI-e USB card -
which will give you another 4-5 USB ports - but more
importantly, another USB root hub, separate from the one on
the motherboard. That's what I did to run 6 webcams at
640x480 (but using mjpeg stream, not yuyv). That is, of
course, if you are using some sort of desktop motherboard,
with a spare PCI or PCI-e slot.

</snip>

Modern PC motherboard chipsets have dual EHCI controllers, giving you two
independent high speed USB buses. Intel started doing it in 2006 or so.

I don't know about other cases, but I use an Intel D510MO motherboard for my project (with an Atom D510 dual core with hyperthreading) - and it shows only one Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub. Also my laptop with an Intel U2500 processor shows only one Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub. So it seems there are still motherboards with only one USB 2.0 root hub.

Sebastian