On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 1:13 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcg...@suse.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 06:13:39PM +0200, Arik Nemtsov wrote:
>> From: Jonathan Doron <j...@wizery.com>
>>
>> Allow usermode to query wiphy-specific regd info, for drivers that use
>> wiphy-specific regulatory management.
>>
>> Use the existing API for sending regdomain info to usermode, but return
>> the wiphy-specific regd in case wiphy index is provided and the driver
>> employs wiphy-specific management. This implies user and kernel-mode
>> support for the feature and is backward compatible.
>
> This patch does not address my feedback about making this generic
> to any wiphy->regd.

Copy-pasting my previous reply:

Well always sending wiphy->regd whenever it is set is easy, but it
might be problematic I guess:

We intend to add a patch to wpa_s to always add the wiphy_idx to
NL80211_CMD_GET_REG. With the current approach only drivers with
SELF_MANAGED_REG will get wiphy->regd back. This is ok since these are
new drivers, which are familiar with this API.

But if we use your suggestion and always return wiphy->regd, then some
driver like ath9k that uses regulatory_hint() will now get it's
private regd returned to the wpa_s that manages it. I'm not saying
it's necessarily bad, but it's different than what was returned
before. The cfg80211 regdomain is intersected with wiphy->regd, so now
ath9k will start getting more permissive channels in usermode.

So we thought it's best to enable the new behavior only if the driver
explicitly wants it, using a new regulatory flag.

Arik