Oleksij Rempel <li...@rempel-privat.de> writes:

> Current kernel support only one fw name with theoretically only one
> fw version located in “firmware/htc_[9271|7010].fw”. Which is ok so
> far we have only one fw version (1.3). After we realised new fw 1.4,
> we faced compatibility problem which was decided to solve by firmware
> name and location:
>
> - new firmware is located now in firmware/ath9k_htc/htc_[9271|7010]-1.4.0.fw
> - old version 1.3 should be on old place, so old kernel have no issues with
> it.
> - new kernels including this patch should be able to try different supported
> (min..max) fw version.
> - new kernel should be able to support old fw location too. At least for now.

Please word wrap the commit log.

> At same time this patch will add new module option which should allow
> user to play with development fw version without replacing stable one.
> If user will set “ath9k_htc use_dev_fw=1” module will try to find
> firmware/ath9k_htc/htc_[9271|7010]-1.dev.0.fw first and if it fails,
> use stable version: for example...1.4.0.fw.

I'm not really sure if this module parameter makes sense and I haven't
noticed any other wifi driver having a similar parameter. If user wants
to test a developemnt firmware he can override a stable firmware version
with a simple cp operation. So why is the module parameter needed?

--
Kalle Valo