On Tue, 2018-10-09 at 21:41 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-10-09 at 10:48 -0700, James Prestwood wrote:
> > The current driver hard codes various features, ext features and
> > supported
> > interface types when a new radio is created. This patch adds
> > several new
> > hwsim attributes so user space can specify specific features the
> > radio should
> > have:
> >
> > - HWSIM_ATTR_FEATURE_SUPPORT
> >     Bit field of nl80211_feature_flags flags
> > - HWSIM_ATTR_EXT_FEATURE_SUPPORT
> >     Variable length bit field where bits map to
> > nl80211_ext_feature_index
> >     values.
> > - HWSIM_ATTR_IFTYPE_SUPPORT
> >     Nested attribute of flags containing all supported interface
> > types.
> >     Each flag attribute sets support for an interface type.
>
> This seems rather wrong, most (extended) features require the
> driver/device to actually *do* something.
>
> Let's say you enable NL80211_EXT_FEATURE_TXQS - but then nothing
> actually happens when you try to configure those. Or let's say you
> enable NL80211_FEATURE_TX_POWER_INSERTION but then nothing actually
> happens when sending the frame...

Ok, that makes sense. The intent here was to test logic for detecting
and handling supported driver features/iftypes, rather than actually
using the features. But I do understand it would be strange for anyone
trying to enable a feature, to find that all it does it set a feature
bit (although this is exactly what we want :)). Would it be acceptable
(for now at least) if we just included the iftype piece? I can pull
that out into a new patch if so.