In message: [linux-yocto v5.10/standard/base] compile error:
arch/arm64/kernel/entry.S: Error: immediate out of range at operand 3-- `and
x2,x19,#(...|(1<<27))'
on 12/01/2023 Li Wang wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> arch/arm64/kernel/entry.S: Error: immediate out of range at operand 3-- `and
> x2,x19,#(...|(1<<27))'
> the error only happen in arm64 preempt-rt.
>
> arch/arm64/include/asm/thread_info.h
> #define _TIF_WORK_MASK
> arch/arm64/kernel/entry.S
> and     x2, x19, #_TIF_WORK_MASK
>
> in yocto standard kernel _TIF_WORK_MASK is 8 bit, but in preempt kernel is
> 9bit.
> arm instructions of 'and' only includes 8 bit Immediate Data.
>
> in upstream standard kernel _TIF_WORK_MASK is 7 bit, preempt kernel is 8 bit.
> upstream kernel removes TIF_FSCHECK flag:
> https://lwn.net/ml/linux-arm-kernel/20201006144642.12195-1-mark.rutl...@arm.com/
>
> so, back port the 17 patch for reduce _TIF_WORK_MASK length to match 'and'
> arm instructions

This did apply to v5.10/standard/base fine, but it does conflict
with other merge decisions in v5.10/standard/preempt-rt/base.

In particular _TIF_NEED_RESCHED_LAZY of the preempt-rt kernel is
conflicting in the mask and definitions.

I've manually dropped TIF_FSCHECK, and used the free slot for
_TIF_NEED_RESCHED_LAZY and fixed up the masks.

But it may not be correct, have a look at the v5.10/standard/preempt-rt/base
merge, and send fixups as necessary.

Bruce