Some candid feedback from someone struggling with their build. They
specified a non-master branch on the SRC_URI but had not added a
KBRANCH, so bitbake fetched everything, but do_kernel_checkout checked
out the master branch.

This sort of disconnect between bitbake and the kern-tools is something
I'd like to see if we can cleanup. I understand the KBRANCH stuff enables
us to use the trees/tools outside of the bitbake environment, which is
a valid use case. However, when we're using bitbake, could we grab the
values from the SRC_URI and use those? Messy.

        > >  My SRCREV is set to "AUTOREV", in which case bitbake prints the
SHA1
        > >  corresponding to the branch parameter in the git fetcher -
extremely
        > >  misleading.
        >
        > What would you expect it to do instead?

        I guess it should be easy enough not to print any SHA1 sum at all,
        especially not at the "compile" step rather than printing something and
        building something else.

        > > About to stop playing with the git fetcher parameters and modify
the recipe
        > > instead. Lesson learned the very hard way.
        >
        > Unfortunately, you really need both. The SRCREV and and SRC_URI are
there to
        > help bitbake know what to checkout and when tasks need to be re-run
        > (when not to
        > reuse sstate). The KBRANCH is part of an additional layer of
configuration
        > introduced by the Yocto Project kern-tools.
        >
        > It is indeed rather confusing. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how
it
        > could be improved.

        Why the additional layer of configuration? I can't see when someone
        would want to git fetch one branch/tag and build another.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center