w.r.t  your concern on creating machine branch, for meta-haswell-wc that is
recently up-streamed to Dylan branch,
we have started to use  standard/common-pc-64/base as seen in
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel/commit/?h=dylan&id=ab181e88d4a783a0b47cfa164accaedc3f4d2865

I will submit a request to have the " haswell-wc machine branch in
linux-yocto-3.8 " removed.

I agree with you on not continuing creating branches that are identical.

Thanks
Boon Leong