> 1. Do we need any modification in the BIOS for adding support of I2C,
> SPI slave devices to Linux using ACPI ?

  Yes, you need to add the slave device info like slave address, speed
addressing mode, IRQ in the BIOS DSDT table.

> 2. Do we need to add the CONFIG_ACPI code (described in "I2C serial
> bus support" section of acpi/enumeration.txt) to the
> drivers/media/i2c/adv7180.c file ?

   Yes...the ACPI ID shall match with the one that you added into the BIOS DSDT
table.

> 3. Where we need to add the device info like I2C bus number, I2C slave
> address, IRQ ?

      In the BIOS DSDT table...using I2CSerialBus() resource descriptor to add
the slave device info. You can refer to ACPI spec for the details of
I2CSerialBus() resource descriptor.

> 4. Do we need to add any additional code in the chip driver
> specifically for this ACPI support ?

Yes, refer to the "I2C serial bus support" section of acpi/enumeration.txt.

> 5. We have an Intel reference board. The source code provided by Intel
> itself used certain board files to add support for SPI slave devices,
> Clock setup, Init, etc. Why it has been done without using ACPI ? Is it due
> to any restriction ?

The board file is only needed if you are using PCI enumeration mode.