On 6/18/2014 4:24 PM, Allan, Bruce W wrote:

We have a new hardware crypto device driver currently out for RFC on the linux-crypto mailing list and would like to back-port it to the Yocto Linux kernels once it is committed upstream. What is the process for getting it into the current dev kernel as well as linux-yocto-3.10 and linux-yocto-3.14? I’ve already done the back-port to the three Yocto Linux kernels and found that just 1 or 2 (depending on the kernel) other patches would also be needed. Is back-porting these patches also allowed as long as they do no harm to anything else?

Hi Bruce,

The right way is to push these backported patches in the respective stable kernel trees. If that is not working, then the patches can be pushed in the linux-yocto kernel repositories as features.

The device also requires a firmware component which has already been committed to the upstream linux-firmware repository. How does this get into Yocto?

Then there may not be any thing done for the linux-firmware, as we always try to be up to date with upstream. If you need automatic loading of some modules, then you nay need to add configuration for that to BSPs. Which hardware is this feature for? Possibly we already has a BSP for that hardware, otherwise a new BSP can be created.

Nitin

Thanks,

Bruce Allan.