On 2014-06-21, 12:22 PM, Andreas Wick wrote:
Hi,

I currently try to build a kernel (3.14) for a SIMpad tablet
(StrongARM SA1100). I'm not sure whether my problem is appropriate for
this mailing list, just ignore it if it should ask somewhere else.

The kernel does stop after it tried to execute the init process. Error
message: "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x00000004"
I already tried to use a different init process (busybox instead of
tiny-init) however nothing changes.

Are there any options or tools I can use to further track down the problem?

Hmmm. I typically figure these out by looking at the code, and adding
instrumentation (via ftrace, printk .. or whatever you prefer).

What set of kernels have you tried ? Rather than debugging "everything",
bounding the problem is always a good idea.

It could be the userspace options and build flags, mismatched with the
kernel if you can't execute anything in userspace.

And finally, check to see if KDB works on the platform, if it does,
you might be able to use the in kernel debugger to get more hints.

Bruce

Thank you for your support.

Cheers,
Andreas Wick