On 07/11/2014 08:48 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
On 14-07-11 09:00 AM, Peter A. Bigot wrote:
When I replace /boot/uImage on the SD card with the ones corresponding
to built Image files with size 11223252 (0xab40d4) or smaller, the boot
succeeds as shown below.  With uImage corresponding to Image size
1231444 (0xab60d4) or greater, the boot hangs after "Starting kernel
..." with no further output.

Anybody have a clue as to what might be going wrong here and how to fix
it?  I'm guessing the larger uncompressed image is overwriting something
critical, but don't know where to tweak to make it work.

That's almost always what it is. I assume you are tftping the zImage and
dtb to the BBB before booting ?

If so, just move the load address of the dtb higher, and the uncompressed
kernel should no longer clobber it.

I was installing it on the SD card, from which uImage and the dtb were being loaded by u-boot.

The pre-installed u-boot on this old BBB had fdtaddr 0x80fa0000; running this:

  setenv fdtaddr 0x80fc0000

at the u-boot prompt fixed it, which confirms the diagnosis. I'll figure out where to make that permanent later.

Thanks.

Peter