On 2018-02-15 7:33 PM, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
Bruce, Yocto kernel folks:

Here is another 4.12.x stable update "extension" primarily created for
the Yocto project, continuing on top of the previous v4.12.19 kernel.

As hinted at in the previous release, there was a desire to clear the
queue of the stand-alone fixes to make room for more complicated
changes we have here.

And so here we have a queue of patches that, unlike previous stable
commits, has a much more complex interdependency, versus the stand alone
commits we are used to seeing in stable releases of the past.

As much as I would like to not make changes to core files that aren't
strictly bug fixes, it was necessary in order to bring back the mainline
commits related to recent security concerns.  So we have more commits
here in this round that don't have the normal "Fixes: <commit ID>" we
are used to.

Expanding the sphere to include patches which were dependencies of the
patches we wanted for KPTI seemed to be the right choice from a
stability point of view, versus smashing a square peg into a round hole,
even if it drove the patch count higher than I would have liked.

That said, we have a 4.12.x that contains 100% mainline commits.
Keeping to the original stable goal of not using any commits that did
not go mainline.  Having done this, I can appreciate the challenge, and
how people on older releases have decided to use earlier "Kaiser"
snapshots even though none of those commits ever were merged to mainline.

As usual, I've put this 4.12.x queue through the various testing that I
figured made sense, which includes but is not limited to:

-x86-64 sanity boot test + workloads of defconfig on COTS Core2 box.
-build MIPS, PPC, ARM, ARM64 with defconfig
-build x86-64 allmodconfig/allyesconfig
-build i386 allmodconfig/allyesconfig

I bumped the 4.12 Makefile and did the signed tag just as per the previously
released 4.12.x versions.

Please find a signed v4.12.20 tag using this key:

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xEBCE84042C07D1D6

in the repo in the kernel.org directory here:

    https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux-4.12.y.git/
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux-4.12.y.git

for merge to standard/base in linux-yocto-4.12 and then out from there
into the other base and BSP branches.

For those who are interested, the evolution of the commits is here:

    https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/paulg/longterm-queue-4.12.git/

This repo isn't needed for anything; it just exists for transparency and
so people can see the raw commits that were used to create this 4.12.x
release, similar to Greg's stable queue:

    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git/

One thing which is new for this release, is that the series file does now
contain annotations which show the chronological progression of the
commits in mainline, since that was instrumental in trying to get this
release right.

Thanks Paul.

These are now staged locally and have passed build/boot tests on both
standard and -rt for me.

I'll have SRCREVs for the update sent shortly.

Bruce

Paul.