Hi Bruce,

On 11/11/19 11:36 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:05 AM Paul Gortmaker
<paul.gortma...@windriver.com> wrote:
Bruce, Yocto kernel folks:

Here is the first 5.2.x stable update "extension" primarily created for
the Yocto project, continuing from the last v5.2.21 EOL release from the
normal stable-kernel feed/stream.

As the 1st extension update, it is probably worthwhile to remind people
that the work here is stacked on top of the existing vanilla
linux-stable work and isn't Yocto specific in any way -- other than
filling a need for the Yocto project kernel needs.

Non Yocto users with a 5.2.x kernel are also encouraged to make use of
the work, just as the 4.8, 4.12 and 4.18 stable extension work done in
the past.  Content is chosen by monitoring non-EOL stable releases, CVEs
and similar, and is released in a fashion as close as possible to the
primary stable-kernel feed that people are used to.

More specifically, for this 5.2.22 release, it contains about 235 mainline
commits based on what was found in 5.3.6 and 5.3.7 stable content.

I've put this 5.2.22 queue through the usual testing; build testing on
x86-64/32, ARM-64/32, PPC and MIPS, plus some static analysis and
finally some sanity runtime tests on x86-64.

I did the signed tag just as per the previously released versions.
Please find a signed v5.2.22 tag using this key:

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xEBCE84042C07D1D6

in the repo in the kernel.org directory here:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux-5.2.y.git/?h=linux-5.2.y
   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux-5.2.y.git

for merge to standard/base in linux-yocto-5.2 and then out from there
into the other base and BSP branches.
This is merged, that being said .. there are a couple of things that
could use a second set of eyes.

1) I had a preempt-rt conflict in fs/libfs.c. It looks like
scan_positives() was introduced. The merge picked up a conflict, when
really it should have just been the introduction of that new function
and a drop of the old ones. But again, a 2nd set of eyes to see if I
read it right would be nice.

2) there was a conflict in v5.2/standard/xlnx-soc in
drivers/tty/serial/uartlite.c. There's a minor change in the driver
unregistration. I resolved he conflict, but there now might be two
unregister calls .. and I'm not sure how well that'll work. I copied
Quanyang, to have a look and see if I got it right.

The commit 7dba6bf5f7d8 ("serial: uartlite: fix exit path null pointer") should be

dropped because that the commit 4eed93c3703b ("serial-uartlite: Remove ULITE_NR_PORTS macro")

which is picked from SDK has moved "uart_unregister_driver" from ulite_exit to ulite_remove, and

there is no global variable "ulite_uart_driver" anymore.

Do I need to send a revert patch to revert it in v5.2/standard/xlnx-soc branch?

Thanks,

Quanyang

Cheers,

Bruce

For those who are interested, the evolution of the commits is here:

   https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/paulg/longterm-queue-5.2.git/

This repo isn't needed for anything; it just exists for transparency and
so people can see the evolution of the raw commits that were originally
selected to create this 5.2.x release.

Paul.

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end