On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:20:50PM +0000, Martin Townsend wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> I've been testing your latest changes and I'm now able to send large
> pings and can see the fragmented packets on wireshark :)   I can now get
> the libcoap examples working (which didn't on the 3.10 kernel I was
> using before).  :)

oh libcoap is nice, I use CoAP too and had a idea to implement a CoAP
userspace "filesystem" with a coap server and coap fuse client on the
other side. The coap examples runs on my side as well.

There exists also a firefox plugin "Copper" maybe you don't know it.
It's really cool as a coap client. [1]

The server can simply offer some sysfs entries (sensoring data, leds,
buttons, etc...)

> One thing I have noticed is that it fragments earlier that I expected,
> if I ping with
> ping6 -s 93 fe80::a200:0:0:2%lowpan0
>
> Then I get a 125 byte frame, so I expected -s 94 to not fragment but it
> did.  I'm wondering if this is due to the fact that my driver has set
> the IEEE802154_HW_OMIT_CKSUM flag.  If my understanding of this flag is
> correct then it means that the HW is handling the Checksum at the PHY
> layer so the MAC layer does add a CRC in the Tx and conversely check it
> on the Rx.  So this would give us an extra 2 bytes to play with and I'm
> wondering if this would account for these 2 bytes?

There is one point in fragmentation code which decide if we need
fragmentation or not, see [2]. Maybe we need to change this calculation
to remove the two bytes if IEEE802154_HW_OMIT_CKSUM is set. I need to
take a look into that, or maybe you want try to remove the two bytes and
check if this still works (that it's a hacky testing, but I would check
this at first).

- Alex

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/copper-270430/
[2]