Hi,

>> 2. What about FCS field in IEEE-802.15.4 header ?
>
> Usually FCS is stripped by the hardware or by software right after receiving
> a frame. There is little point passing it down the stack.

There is one point :) For sniffing the channel (for example with
wireshark) it would be nice to keep the FCS in the received frame. So
one could see garbled frames in the sniffer output too, but gets a hint
that there is something wrong with the frame.

Actual the the monitor interfaces receive the FCS, but the
implementation is somewhat odd here :/ In the rx path the FCS is removed
first. Depending on the device driver this happens in hardwarem the
driver (like in the rf230 driver [1]) or it will be removed in
mac802154_subif_rx() [2] after checking it for correctness. Directly
after this, the frame is given to mac802154_monitors_rx(), where a new
FCS is calculated for this frame [3]. This FCS is somewhat useless now,
because it is always correct, even if the original received frame was
completely garbled :/

[1]
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/40706af0b246f416a35fc3e12dc695deca8da3ff/drivers/net/ieee802154/at86rf230.c#L611

[2]
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/32bad7e30f113a8a5cebe4704bf6519ab4383e1b/net/mac802154/rx.c#L64-L77

[3]
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/0606069d9ef538687957d41ed6387d665af7a643/net/mac802154/monitor.c#L76-L81

Sascha.

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me
spread!