Hi,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 01:41:33PM +0530, Varka Bhadram wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On 06/27/2014 12:07 PM, Alexander Aring wrote:

> >>You can clone the David miller's net-next tree from [1]. If you are adding
> >>any feature to network
> >>subsystem use [1], if you are fixing the already existing code use net tree
> >>[2].
> >>
> >If the code is in net-next and not in net, then please send it to
> >net-next. Then net-next isn't merged in net. And mark your patches with
> >"net" or "net-next" with tag.
>
> Why don't we create a separate tree for linux-zigbee development ?
>
> Or else put the tree in linux-zigbee-project git ?

This is a complicated question. I can tell you my opinion.

We need now two branches, one (mac802154/ieee802154 6lowpan) and
(generic 6lowpan) which contains the IPHC implementation. The generic
6lowpan branch doesn't exist right now.

We should move the iphc code to "net/6lowpan/" (which is the generic branch)
and put 6lowpan code there which bluetooth and ieee802154 6lowpan shares.
This is the IPHC format currently. But there exist also some others possible
implementation like neighbor discovery optimization or RPL.

We should really do that! But I don't think I can't do this in my
position. I fix really much code in 6lowpan implementation, because most
of them was copy&pasted from contiki and did never work correctly. I don't
know if I "can" send patches for the above one idea.

To your question:

I have already patches for the above one idea, but I will finish the
driver implementation now and I am nearly at the end! (I hope). And then
I just simple send this patch series. If I do this, we need a maintainer
for "net/6lowpan". But who will be this person? Maybe we can just do a
doodle with some candidates. :-D

For repositories:

The normal way is that all people send patches to a branch mailinglist
and the maintainer take these and sends pull requests to David Miller.
This decrease Davids workload.

We don't have any maintainer now and I think we need to wait... then the
workload of David is too high and he search some new maintainers to send
pull-requests. Okay we have the formal maintainers, but they don't do
anything anymore. :-(

Then we have two branches, net/6lowpan and (net/ieee802154,
net/mac802154). Which needs a own repository and a own mailinglist and
one/two/three maintainers, which knows something about the code and
standard.

And sorry, I don't know 100% the MAC802154/6LoWPAN standard, but maybe
enough to work as maintainer.

I CC some people to this mail, because I think we should really talk
about this. I have nightmare that I don't see some generic 6lowpan patches
in bluetooth branch. :P

- Alex