Hi Jukka and Martin,

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 04:52:50PM +0300, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
> Great, your example clarified the issue nicely :)
>
> I would vote for option 2) but if it makes the code too ugly then 1) is
> ok too.

I begin to have the feeling like there is a reason because there are
different indicators for consume_skb, kfree_skb. Error or not error,
because it's hard to implement it in some way to make a correct handling
without using a pointer of pointer. A pointer of pointer always means also
a unnecessary dereferencing (netdev people doesn't like unnecessary
dereferencing stuff, takes too much time).

That's why I vote also for option 2)... but we can also clarify this on
the netdev mailinglist and ask other networking kernel hackers.

- Alex