I'm troubleshooting issues with an Atmel AT86RF212 radio on mainline
(3.17-rc5 at this time) and was wondering about forcing an active scan
via the "iz scan" command.  This comes back as not supported so I
wanted to understand why.

It looks like ieee802154_scan_req() should be invoked in nl-mac.c in
response to a netlink message, this will return -EOPNOTSUPP when
ieee802154_mlme_ops(dev)->scan_req is NULL, and indeed that appears to
be the case.  I can't find anyone in the soft-MAC setting .scan_req in
the MLME ops structure, is that correct?

The only place I see it set is the fake full-MAC radio (fakehard.c)
where it's implemented as fake_scan_req() which in turn calls
ieee802154_nl_scan_confirm() to report the fake scan result.

I then tried to find anything else calling
ieee802154_nl_scan_confirm() and was unable to, is that right or am I
missing something?

Please forgive my ignorance but is scanning "broken" at this time?
The above situation seems to be the same in the 3.15 source tree so I
must be misunderstanding something.

Thanks,

  -Andrey