Hi,

On 14-10-02 03:29 AM, Alexander Aring wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 12:27:17PM +0200, Alexander Aring wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>>> I know... For now it looks like not using Linux wpan is simpler than use it.
>>>
>> correct.
A while ago, we were also interested in porting our ZigBee stack to use
the linux-wpan interface, and we came to the same conclusion. The API is
missing too much of the IEEE 802.15.4 MLME components to provide support
for a workable ZigBee stack. In the end, we wound up implementing our
IEEE 802.15.4 driver in userspace along with the ZigBee stack; It works
quite well, but one of these days I would still like to port it to
linux-wpan.

The three major compoenents that are missing from the API are:
     * MLME-ASSOCIATE
     * MLME-SCAN (and generation of beacons).
     * Indirect packet transmission.

In theory, you could cobble something together that does association and
scanning from userspace with a raw socket, but there would probably be
enough hacking necessary to get it working correctly that it would be
much cleaner to implement it in kernelspace with a netlink command.

Indirect packet transmission is something that needs kernel support (and
sometimes even hardware support), since it relies on fiddling with the
ack packets.

Cheers,
Owen