Subject: RE: scanModem, mandrake kernel 2.4.19-16mdk
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:15:19 -0500
From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Michel

This modem
---------------
Class 0703: 1039:7013 (rev a0)
        Subsystem: 1039:7013
Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 56k Winmodem (Smart Link HAMR5600
Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 56k Winmodem (Smart Link
AMR5600
----------------
will have excellent service from the mentioned SmartLink software,
though carefully read the ModemDriverCompiling.txt

This file
 /etc/devfs/conf.d/modem.conf
------------------------------
REGISTER        ^tts/0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink tts/0 modem
UNREGISTER      ^tts/0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink modem
------------------------------
must first be removed (say to /root/)
as it sets a symbolic /dev/modem --> /dev/tts/0
link only appropriate to Controller chipset modems,
and the SmartLink package needs its own /dev/modem --> ModemPort Link

After driver installation, you will have to separate configure some dialout
utility.  Under Mandrake, KPPP has worked fine for me,
through the wvdial.rpm package's
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
is instructive and fun for initial testing.

Enjoy,

MarvS