I've used Slackware, Mandriva, something or two or three handed out at OCLUG meetings around the Corel Linux era (does anyone remember their names?), Redhat, SUSE, Debian, and Ubuntu.

I haven't switched from Ubuntu for about 6 years now on server and Kubuntu on desktop.

For me, it's been reasonably up-to-date, rarely broke badly, and worked well enough. As for choosing Kubuntu - it was better than gnome at the time, and now it's intertia. :-)

I recently upgraded my web/dns/list server from from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver to get recent versions of apache, wget, php etc. which I was installing from PPEs (alternate repositories). The upgrade went very smoothly. I quickly ripped out netplan, "The network configuration abstraction renderer" (bleah!) after installation though. netplan.io is one of those bad choices that sometimes come with Ubuntu, I'll admit.

I reinstalled good old ifconfig, which took about 5 minutes and others have already provided instructions for.

Of course the great thing about the Linux ecosystem is choice and customizability.

Brett