On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, John Elliott wrote:

> Can anyone recommend an inexpensive PCI-Express video card which is well
> supported by X11 and does not require ATI drivers?
>
> Resolution required is 1920x1080 or better.

Hmm. Not clear from your message if you are implying that you want a
ATI radeon type card with a FLOSS driver, or something else?

The nvidia-based cards work for me. I was not a fan of the nvidia closed
source drivers for years. But after reading an interview about them about
the shared code between their different platforms, I am more accepting.
Nvidia does at least keep the drivers updated with features for linux.

John, you mentioned 1920x1080. Are you planning to watch HD video / MPEG
streams? Nvidia drivers support VDPAU ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
). I installed an inexpensive nvidia card (GT210) on my mythtv box two
months ago and it _really_ works. Watching HDTV takes almost no CPU at
all with VDPAU and the GPU doing most of the work.

Pccyber has GT210s for (oh my - on sale now, for $36.77 with rebate) Does
that meet your 'inexpensive' requirement? It's a good price even without
the rebate.

There might be even better deals, but I would not hesitate to look at this
card specifically, and pccyber's stock in nvidia cards.

Brett