My first thought also was for GIMP, but I recall Mary and I used Open Office (I
now use
the Libre Office successor) with some success for an application like this,
putting the
image as a background. It may, of course, need some GIMPing first to suitably
colour or
fade the image by adjusting brightness/contrast/etc., or if that is too big a
learning
cost, Irfanview (which runs fine under Wine and I find a better recommendation
for those
not needing lots of horsepower -- also a good Thumbnails setup for sorting and
cleaning
images).

However, a simple background can be applied easily in LO using
Format/Page/Background/As(graphic), and then the foreground can use all the
fonts in the
shop as needed.

Best,

JN