On 16/12/2011 12:50 PM, John C Nash wrote:
> Job ads reflect present perceived "needs". When I started university, there
> were hundreds
> of ads for geophysicists. I did chemistry and physics and computational stuff
> (there was
> no Computer Science yet). When I graduated, there were ads for computer
> skills, but
> geophysicists were first in the line to serve at the then-relatively-new
> McDonalds.
>
> [...]
If I may add my $0.02CAD, I agree with using the best tool for the job,
but as an industry consultant, I still get an enormous demand for Java.
Furthermore, I noticed that the second most-referenced skill happened to
be Android development, which also happens to be (mostly) Java.

Thus, like it or hate it, Java is still very fashionable while C++ (and
C) isn't going away anytime soon--I mean, I favourite OS is build mostly
on those two languages ;)

J-F

ps: As for avoiding to work at McDonalds, I think it comes down to
marketing you skills more than your diploma.