"Robert P. J. Day" <rpj...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>   a general question for the masses -- what value do you see in
>linux books...
I've been a consumer of such sys admin fare and other dead tree computer
related media. I find the value in these is seldom the "set this configuration
parameter" and "type this command," but rather in
1) clearly presenting the interactions (dependencies and transactions) between
system elements (be they libraries, applications, services, etc); and
2) a consistently applied method of "best practices" that considers maintenance
as well as configuration and long term use.

As a self identified amateur on the subject, I recognize that these elements
are what I seldom find when Googling subjects like, "debian wheezy imap mail
server configuration", or "kvm bridgeutils configuration". You get a lot of
magic bash commands, but seldom any clue about why they're necessary, or what
best practices you've borked by using them.

My trusty "pro Linux systems administration" (apress, 2011, I think)  remains
my go to for so much, even though it grows a bit dated.
--
Sent from my handheld. Please excuse any errors in spelling and formatting as
these can be difficult to correct on such a device. Any errors in common sense