Well, disabling secure boot won’t break anything, so you can test away with it
off. If you want to re-enble it, you have a few hoops to jump through in order
to tell secure boot you have a signed linux boot to select from.

There are a lot of HOWTOs on getting secure boot to work with a linux kernel,
just not sure if it is worth the trouble. I have a Dell XPS developer edition
laptop that can with Ubuntu on it direct fro Dell. It has secure boot disabled
right out of the box.

> On Feb 19, 2018, at 12:53 PM, J C Nash <profjcn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Scott pointed out that EFI does not have 4 partition limit.
>
> So I went ahead and resized. Win10 still worked.
>
> Then tried Linux Mint install (live USB works fine). Made main and swap
> partitions
> as sda5 and sda6. But on restart got Secure Boot Violation.
>
> Tried again, watching progress, and GRUB install crashed. Win10 still
> working, but it's disk
> management tool does NOT show the sda5 or sda6, and Win10 partition still
> original size.
>
> Also gparted gives libparted warning: The driver descriptor says the block
> size is
> 2048 bytes, but linux says it is 512 bytes.
>
> Wondering if I need to turn off secure boot and allow Linux to install 3rd
> party drivers,
> but I rather would like to avoid that.
>
> Ideas?
>
> JN
>
> On 2018-02-19 11:56 AM, Rick Leir wrote:
>>
>> Hi John
>> You would be doing the change to extended for one of the partitions using
>> fdisk or similar? Yes, risky, but the risk is all in your fingers. Can you
>> practice on some other surplus PC?
>>
>> About the backup to removeable disk: I would prefer to use dd for this, just
>> because I know it better.
>>
>> One option which might be less risky: install Ubuntu, and let it do the
>> partition changes. It knows how to shrink the windows filesystem and set up
>> the partitions. Then install Mint on the Ubuntu partition. Maybe you can go
>> directly to Mint.
>>
>> It has been a while since I have monkeyed with partitions, so I hope I said
>> this all correctly.
>> Cheers --Rick
>>
>> On February 19, 2018 10:51:30 AM EST, J C Nash <profjcn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Background (skip to QUERY if you wish):
>>>
>>> While in Florida recently, my wife and I spotted a nice 11.6" Dell
>>> Inspiron
>>> for $300 US. The design is "old", with 500GB spinning disk, 4 GB Ram,
>>> quad
>>> core processor that isn't terribly powerful. However, it is a size Mary
>>> likes
>>> for travel, and enough disk for lots of family photos and videos. (Her
> [...]
>>> collision
>>> with a tile floor that has made it only partly functional.) We've tried
>>> Android
>>> tablet, but the key layout on Android -- and we've looked around at
>>> several --
>>> makes doing email and stuff awkward. And they don't store much.
>>>
>>> It has Windows 10 and works reasonably well with this. We'd like to
>>> keep
>>> the Win10 in dual boot. Sometimes useful to test things.
>>>
>>> For safety, using the Windows 10 recovery disk tool
>>> (Control Panel / System & Security > Security & Maintenance > Recovery)
>>> created a recovery USB on a 16 GB Lexar flash key.
>>>
>>> Also downloaded Clonezilla clonezilla-live-20170905-zesty-amd64.iso and
>>> used mintstick tool
>>> to install on a USB key (only uses about 275 MB). This is in the
>>> alternate
>>> repository for Clonezilla and allows UEFI booting. The regular "stable"
>>> choice did not
>>> boot.
>>>
>>> Made a whole disk image using this and put it on an external USB drive
>>> from the Dell.
>>>

>>> QUERY:
>>>
>>> The partition structure is as follows:
>>>
>>> Disk /dev/sda: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
>>> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
>>> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
>>> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
>>> Disklabel type: gpt
>>> Disk identifier: 3BBC8E19-46F4-4AB6-B9DA-7B3B4AB0A0DF
>>>
>>> Device         Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
>>> /dev/sda1       2048   1026047   1024000   500M EFI System
>>> /dev/sda2    1026048   1288191    262144   128M Microsoft reserved
>>> /dev/sda3    1288192 975849471 974561280 464.7G Microsoft basic data
>>> /dev/sda4  975849472 976771071    921600   450M Windows recovery
>>> environment
>>>
>>> Unless I'm really mis-reading this, I've got 4 primary partitions, so
>>> need to
>>> convert one to Extended/Logical. Some forum comments say this can be
>>> risky.
>>> Does anyone have recommendations or experience?
>>>
>>> - Some net comments suggest using Windows tool to do this. It appears
>>> that the
>>> MiniTool Partition Wizard (https://www.partitionwizard.com) can do
>>> this.
>>>
>>> - In linux there appears to be fixparts from
>>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/files/gptfdisk/1.0.1/fixparts-binaries/
>>>
>>> Other choices?
>>>
>>> My current plan is
>>>
>>> - to convert the 465G particion with the free version of Partition
>>> Wizard
>>> - test Win10 boots
>>> - use partimg from liveUSB to image that converted partition
>>> - shrink the Win10 partition
>>> - test booting again
>>> - use partimg again to save (replace previous save)
>>> - install Linux (Mint 18.3 Sylvia is what Mary is used to) to the

Scott Murphy, CISSP
Principal Consultant  | Arrow-Eye Consulting Inc.
112 Springcreek Cres. | Kanata | ON | K2M 2K8 | Canada
C: 613-769-9363       | GPG: A8DC6128C3A0E110
email: scott.mur...@arrow-eye.com <mailto:scott.mur...@arrow-eye.com> | web:
http://www.arrow-eye.com <http://www.arrow-eye.com/>