Hi,

I have an application for IDE hdd hotswap, and I'm trying to determine the best chipset. I think one thing to consider is the ability or Linux/LinuxBIOS to completely initialize the chipset from power on reset to use UltraDMA (133 if possible). If it can do that, logically it can re-do it when a different drive is swapped in.

So I'm asking on the LinuxBIOS list since IDE chip initialization has surely been dealt with. Can anyone give me the name of chipsets which they have gotten going with UltraDMA and LinuxBIOS?

The second issue is the ability to tri-state off the bus, but I can find that info elsewhere (ie kernel source) The hdparm utility/kernel driver has the beginnings of this support.

I know that the Promise PCI card controllers have a bios which probably contains hidden magic, perhaps another off-board card can be found.

Regards,

Jeremy