Adam Agnew wrote:

No one really wants LinuxBIOS to support legacy BIOS services. However,
the need for them keeps creeping in (I believe Ron plans to add int15 to
have better support for some vga roms).

True, and too bad if any int's are added, I agree with Linus' original comment that "we don't need no stinking BIOS...", but I agree that reverse engineering these complex VGA chips is no easy task. However, I am going to continue to do it as I have time. I don't know if there is a good argument for this other than religious convictions. I seem to get a certain amount of self satisfaction out of booting linux without ever going into 16-bit mode, save the first instruction or two. And it is disconcerting to see that linux is starting to use BIOS calls in some places, like power management stuff (AFAIR).

-Steve