On Tuesday 15 March 2005 19:58, Richard Smith wrote:
> > > You have a board with 12 different PCI devices on it? Yikes.
> >
> > No, it are more, see below ;-)
> > #lspci
> >
> > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Host Bridge (rev 02)
> > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated
> > Graphics 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB (Hub #1) (rev
> > 02) 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA/CA/DB/EB PCI Bridge (rev 82)
> > 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801DB LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
> >
> > 01:03.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
> > 01:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
> > Capture 01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A
> > IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
>
> Ok so you have 2 pci buses one with 5 devices and one with 3 and you
> are trying to plug the BT device into Bus 1 to make it 4 devices.

Exactly.

> If your riser card  (which BTW unless it has a bridge is not allowed
> by the PCI spec)  has 12 AD lines that can attach to the IDSEL line
> but you only have 3 devices on your bus I don't see how you can have a
> conflict with 11 of those 12 devices. Seems at maximum you should only
> be able to conflict with 3 of the 12.

Well - it was the one available for the mini-itx-case as low profile one, no
doubt the manufacturers know why they do not use bridges...

> > The onboard network card (intel) is exactly at 01:07 - but not listed
> > above, obviously because the Bt878 is sitting in its place.
>
> I'm confused.  Your video cards are on bus 0 how does that relate to
> conflicts on Bus 1?

No, no!

The conflicting devices are indeed on the same bus "1", theoretically it would
look like this:
01:07.0 Network controller: Intel ...
01:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video

only that the network card is hidden.

Now both are there but the upper PCI-slot not working (independendly if it was
0F, 09, 0...):

01:07.0 Network controller: Intel ...
01:0F.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video

> > If i move the Bt878 to, say 01:0F i cannot access it, although listed via
> > lspci, it simply wont work, the network card is then visible and
> > functional. (currently running 2.6.3 but same with 2.6.10 kernel).
>
> Hmmm.. That seems like some sort of driver issue.  If it shows in an
> lspci then the rest is all driver stuff.

I guessed it must be a problem with interrupt or DMA not working or the card
not being correctly initialised (PCI-memory ranges), just wild guesses.
Another problem seems to be, that the bttv often skips frames in this broken
configuration (dmesg says "skipped frame .. high irq latency?")

Some way to trace it down or at least optimize it?