> > Just hope they didn't route the Flash write through the 87570. The micro has
> > 2KB or ROM so you can't change that if it's been burned in.
>
> Does that mean something like if I rewrite the Flash, a "Part" of the old
> Bios is still in the ROM of the 87570. The modified code in flash will
> never be able to work?

It means that the 87570 may have control of the write enable line on
the flash.  If its not asserted no writes to the flash will be
possible unless you pull the chip.  Figureing out whats involved in
allowing the write line to be enabled usually requires snooping on the
IO ports while the factory re-flash routine runs.  Note: thats not the
same as disassembling  the factory re-flash code which could taint
linuxbios with copyrighted code.

> How can I test this, is there any way?

If you have access to a oscope then you can watch the write enable and
the chip enable lines while running the linuxbios flash routine they
must both be asserted at the time you try to write to the flash.

If you are software only then boot bochs on the machine and enable IO
logging then run the factory re-flash.  If it does a buch of port IO
to the 87570 prior to starting to program then WE has a good chance of
being under its control and you will have to duplicate that IO prior
to and/or while running the linuxbios reflash.

--
Richard A. Smith