> > >/dev/hda[?] don't exist in the simple filesystem. Did you add the
> > >devices to devices.txt?
>
> > Yes I did.  I wasn't sure if I added them correctly, though.  I just
> copied
> > most of the entries from another line and changed the major and minor
> > numbers.
>
> Hmm.. That should work.  I would verify when you boot the image that
> the devices really exist and the numbers are right.
>
> Do you really have ext3 in the kernel or just ext2?  ext2 will not
> mount a ext3 system if the journal is dirty with out a patch and even
> then only ro.

/proc/filesystems lists ext3

I think the error is something different.  I can mount my USB key that I
formatted ext2, but when I try /dev/hda1 instead of /dev/sda1, it says
Unknown error 6, which is "no such device or address".

When I do a ls -l /dev/ I get
brw-rw----      1 0     0       3,      1 Oct 13 13:08 /dev/hda1
brw-rw----      1 0     0       8,      1 Oct 13 13:08 /dev/sda1

The only differences are the h vs. s and the major number

Thanks for your help,
Myles