Hi,

the submission deadline is approaching fast and maybe some
people are still not sure what project idea to pick.
You surely have read the list of projects by now.
http://linuxbios.org/GSoC
One more idea (not yet in the wiki) is mentioned in the mail
quoted below:

On 22.03.2007 15:35, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 22.03.2007 15:24, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>> > * Anton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070322 15:22]:

>> > Yes. This should work. The one disadvantage is that it stops working as
>> > soon as you flashed linuxbios for the first time, because it does not
>> > provide that information.
>> >
>> > (Maybe it should, btw, when we want to save configuration stuff in a
>> > flash block?)
>
> Why not use an extra utility for this (detect_flash_enable_strategy)?
>
> # ./detect_flash_enable_strategy
> Performing PCI and SuperIO config space dump 1...
> Calling Flash enable hooks in proprietary BIOS....
> Performing PCI and SuperIO config space dump 2...
> Diffing dumps...
> PCI config space byte 0x13 of device 00:1e.0 changed from 0x20 to 0x30
> Please mail the above information with lspci -nv and a description
> of your mainboard to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you implement a utility which automatically determines the flash
enable strategy for a mainboard by analyzing the vendor BIOS and
calling the flash enable hooks in the proprietary BIOS with lrmi
or another vm86 wrapper, you have a really good project idea and
good chances.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel