Jonathan Sturges wrote:
>>> Two additional questions about CS5530 IRQ steering:
>>> 1)  Comments from Uwe Hermann and Peter Stuge have indicated that it's
>>> really better for the kernel to setup the steering registers.  Why is this?
>>>  It sounds like the BIOS is a good place to set these.  I assume that a
>>> knowledgeable OS could change them if necessary?  At the very least, it
>>> does sound like we all agree that it's OK to have LB setup the steering
>>> until Linux is fixed.
>>>
>>> 2)  Question about irq_tables.c.  Many of the CS5536 systems have a
>>> write_pirq_routing_table() in irq_tables.c that sets the steering
>>> registers.  I'd like to be able to set the steering registers in CS5530
>>> systems too, but I'm not a software developer and I need some help.  So in
>>> src/mainboard/artecgroup/dbe61/irq_tables.c, you have:
>>> /* Set up chipset IRQ steering. */
>>> pciAddr = 0x80000000 | (CHIPSET_DEV_NUM << 11) | 0x5C;
>>> chipset_irq_map = (PIRQD << 12 | PIRQC << 8 | PIRQB << 4 | PIRQA);
>>> printk_debug("%s(%08X, %04X)\n", __FUNCTION__, pciAddr,
>>>               chipset_irq_map);
>>> outl(pciAddr & ~3, 0xCF8);
>>> outl(chipset_irq_map, 0xCFC);My main question with this block of code is
>>> what the two outl() calls are for.  It looks like pciAddr gets the address
>>> of the 0x5c steering register, and chipset_irq_map sets the right bits to
>>> set all 4 PIRQ lines.  But I'd expect to see the chipset_irq_map written to
>>> pciAddr.
>>>
>>> As an alternative, Kenji Noguchi used this code block to set the registers
>>> in a CS5530 system he's working on (posted 5-May-2007):
>>> device_t pdev;
>>> //CS5530A
>>> pdev = dev_find_slot(0, (0x12 << 3) + 0);
>>> pci_write_config8(pdev, 0x5c, 0xab);
>>> pci_write_config8(pdev, 0x5d, 0x09);
>>>

>>> This block makes more sense to me.  Obviously the register values could be
>>> set by
>>> #defines, but it looks simpler to me.
>>>
>>> Bottom line is, before I implement IRQ steering for my CS5530 system, I
>>> want to understand what the first code block is doing, and if (or why) it's
>>> preferable over the 2nd code block.  Any guidance is appreciated.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Jonathan
>>

>> outl(pciAddr & ~3, 0xCF8);
>> outl(chipset_irq_map, 0xCFC)
>>
>> is basically the same as
>>
>> pci_write_config8(pdev, 0x5c, 0xab);
>> pci_write_config8(pdev, 0x5d, 0x09);
>>

>> CFC/CF8 is the PCI config space.
>
> Ahhh... thanks Marc, that was the clarification I needed.
>
> With that in mind, that block of code should work directly with the CS5530
> after defining CHIPSET_DEV_NUM appropriately.  What about '0x80000000', is
> that a common base address applicable to all CS553x systems?
>
> thanks,
> Jonathan

DEV_NUM should be a constant for the 5530. It is always hooked up on the
same IDSEL. The 0x80000000 is standard for all i/o based PCI config
accesses. It indicates that it is a config access and not just a normal
PCI i/o access.

Marc

--
Marc Jones