On May 14, 2000 at 13:44, vulcan wrote:

[RH boot.img and...]

>to a floppy. I had also copied rescue.img to another disk, but it gave
>some error message i don't remember now. boot floppy had been working
>fine.

How did you 'copy', and what was the error message?

>i was using originally dos formatted 1.44, some of which had winNT and
>win95 data.

Er. The boot and root and rescue and what-not disks are supposed to be
written to raw... That is, they might as well be blank and unformatted,
which brings us to your next problem...

>the problem is, ever since my floppy drive is misbehaving. it is reading

...not your drive...

>and booting from win95/win98 startup floppies, but RHLinux boot shows
>the first screen and says the most descriptive words "boot failure" .

Using the boot disks you made by 'copying' boot.img and so on? Tsk tsk.
Did you read the Bootdisk-HOWTO?

(and don't tell me "Non-system disk or disk error" is any more
informative)

>the drive is creating problems in writing/formatting. invalid media,
>etc.

On your Linux 'boot' disks? Oh dear. Until you tell us how you copied
boot.img, we can't help.

>i tried to recreate a win95-fat16 startup disk, that also got corrupted.
>later it couldn't even get formattted. it was not at all used in Linux.

Boggle. That I know nothing about. But as cnb said, burn all floppy disk
technology.

>i have tried to format these disks in win95/98, but now i am sitting
>with a total of 8 floppies previously working fine which appear to have
>got corrupted.

Clean your drive.

>what does linux do to floppy drive.

Nothing that you don't tell it to do.