Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe writes:
Quoting from the welcome message that *every* new member on this list
receives. And yes, these guidelines are really, really old and have
been around since the LUG was started.
Please adhere to them; I would like to request the admin to use
the 15th point.
This should settle all the recent crappy mails once and for all. Now I
wonder how many people actually read guidelines. Peronal opinions ...
bah!
I again seriously ask if this is a private forum or a public one. Whatever I write below is assuming the later and not relevant if the former is the case in which case I would request an official reminder from whichever privte party "own's" this list about their ownership.

ILUG-Bom Mailing List participation Guidelines
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2. When quoting another person, edit out whatever isn't directly
applicable to your reply. Don't let your mailing software
automatically quote the entire body of messages you are replying to
when it's not necessary. Take the time to edit any quotations down to
the minimum necessary to provide context for your reply. Nobody likes
reading a long message in quotes for the third or fourth time, only to
be followed by a one line response: "Yeah, me too." Messages larger
than 10k will not be posted immediately. Such messages will need the
list admins approval.
5. Limit line length to approximately 65-70 characters and avoid
control characters.
Guideline or rule? I think it is time for a debate on this. Debate not on weather limited line length is good or bad, but on if it is a rule or not.

11. Please provide URL's to articles wherever possible. Avoid cutting
and pasting whole articles especially considering the fact that all
may not be interested. In any case your posting maynot be more than
10k. Occassionally if you may have to send such a mail, post it, it
will reach the members after the list admin approves it.
15. Any violation to the above will be given a warning. 5 such
warnings and the subscriber will be suspended from the mailing list
for 15 days.
Most of the guidelines are very good guidelines and extreme abuse should lead to point 15. But I am totaly against restrictions when only personal taste is the issue. Top posting & line wrapping are such issues. Many dont like them. But I think a person is entitled to personal choice when it does not affect others directly.
And please get off your moral high horse.
quasi

_______________________________________________
http://mm.ilug-bom.org.in/mailman/listinfo/linuxers

Reply via email to