sorry, i am not good in explaining things, but if u have specific question
then i will try my best to answer......virtualbox + kgdb is not easy to
setup too....many ways, but i can suggest my way:

a.   install any linux OS ....ubuntu or fedora core inside virtualbox.
call this guest OS.

b.   inside the guest OS, install "git".   u have to use either "apt-get"
or yum to do it.

c.   then virtualbox guest OS, do a "git clone git://
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jwessel/kgdb.git" to download the
kgdb + kernel (it has everything - essentially kgdb patch over kernel.org's
linux kernel) and compile a new kernel for the guest image.

d.   copy copy out the vmlinux (not vmlinuz) which will contain all the
symbols for debugging into the host OS.

e.  use host OS's gdb to debug the guest OS, using the "remote target"
feature of gdb....details are given inside here:

http://groups.google.com/group/linuxkernelnewbies/browse_thread/thread/de7e2911855e76b7/ecf92547db4cc9f3?lnk=gst&q=virtualbox#ecf92547db4cc9f3

http://groups.google.com/group/linuxkernelnewbies/browse_thread/thread/556b719bab630a05/9b908f43c3c5794f?lnk=gst&q=virtualbox#9b908f43c3c5794f

http://groups.google.com/group/linuxkernelnewbies/browse_thread/thread/c775f03821d0f667/f749beab059395b9?lnk=gst&q=virtualbox#f749beab059395b9

and this (http://www.devfront.com/?q=node/302, which is not available
now....luckily i captured it here:

http://groups.google.com/group/linuxkernelnewbies/browse_thread/thread/169fd1ddce20287e/f449cabdf1a8cf80?lnk=gst&q=virtualbox#f449cabdf1a8cf80
)....

u are welcome to contribute any questions or queries u may have too.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh