possible to describe the steps you take?

this is my understanding:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/gcov.txt

from above, we know that "kernel" is not a series of program which you can
profile individual.   it is the WHOLE system underlying the machine, and
therefore to profile you have to go through the debugfs:

        /sys/kernel/debug/gcov
                Parent directory for all gcov-related files.

        /sys/kernel/debug/gcov/reset
                Global reset file: resets all coverage data to zero when
                written to.

        /sys/kernel/debug/gcov/path/to/compile/dir/file.gcda
                The actual gcov data file as understood by the gcov
                tool. Resets file coverage data to zero when written to.

        /sys/kernel/debug/gcov/path/to/compile/dir/file.gcno
                Symbolic link to a static data file required by the gcov
                tool. This file is generated by gcc when compiling with
                option -ftest-coverage.