Hi!

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 06:19:30AM +0000, Christophe Leroy wrote:
> With some defconfig including CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE,
> (for instance mvme5100_defconfig and ps3_defconfig), gcc 5
> generates a call to _restgpr_31_x.

> I don't know if there is a way to tell GCC not to emit that call, because at
> the end we get more instructions than needed.

The function is required by the ABI, you need to have it.

You get *fewer* insns statically, and that is what -Os is about: reduce
the size of the binaries.

(The only reason you get such problems is because Linux does not have
all of libgcc.  You can have that *and* have some symbols cause link
errors, it isn't rocket science).

Segher