On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:43 AM, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:

David Gibson wrote:
On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 09:33:12AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
On Jun 3, 2008, at 5:08 AM, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
Kumar Gala wrote:
On Jun 1, 2008, at 9:03 PM, David Gibson wrote:
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 08:49:45AM +0200, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
[snip]
You have a whole lot of 'cell-index' properties through both these
trees, and they all look wrong.  cell-index is a hack, which
should be
avoided wherever practical - it should only be used when the index
is
used to offset into some global register block, never simply to
differentiate (use reg for that) or name the devices (use aliases
for
that).
this is why FSL device tree's have cell-index.  We have global
control
registers that need to know such things.
Should I remove them or not? OF is still a mystery for me :-(.
Don't remove them.

Yes, they're ok, given this usage.

I'm puzzled. Could someone point me to some real code where cell-index
is used as a pointer into some global data. Sorry for my ignorance.

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2008-June/057254.html

- k