Trent Piepho wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Jon Smirl wrote:
[...snip...]
I don't see why we want to go through the trouble of having uboot tell
us things about a chip that are fixed in stone. Obviously something
like the frequency of the external crystal needs to be passed up, but
why pass up stuff that can be computed (or recovered by reading a
register)?

One could also say that if U-boot has to have the code and already
calculated the value, why duplicate the code and the calculation in Linux?

Right, if the "bus-frequency" property for the I2C device is not defined, the Linux I2C bus driver should just overtake the pre-defined values. That's what I (we?) wanted to implement anyhow.

Wolfgang.