On 01/15/2015 03:58 AM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
On Wed, 2015-01-14 at 23:35 +0530, Hari Bathini wrote:
On 01/14/2015 10:01 AM, Michael Ellerman wrote:

On Wed, 2014-12-24 at 17:28 +0530, Hari Bathini wrote:
With minor checks, we can move most of the code for nvram
under pseries to a common place to be re-used by other
powerpc platforms like powernv. This patch moves such
common code to arch/powerpc/kernel/nvram_64.c file.
As I said in my reply to the previous version:

     ... you need to keep in mind that it is very common for us to build kernels
     with both POWERNV=y and PSERIES=y.
So you need to make sure you're only using CONFIG_PPC_PSERIES to protect things
     that are optional on pseries. Not things that we *shouldn't* be doing on
     powernv.
we could as well do away with the PPC_PSERIES flag in a couple of
places in
arch/powerpc/kernel/nvram_64.c, but doing that will unnecessarily add
few extra variables for !PPC_PSERIES case.
Yep. I'm happy for them to be there, I just want you to explain in the
changelog that you've thought about the PSERIES=y POWERNV=y case and why the
code makes sense for that configuration.

Please explain in your commit message how you have dealt with that.
Sure. Will update the changelog
Thanks.
Also, you broke the build for every config that doesn't have
CONFIG_PPC_PSERIES, all 95 of them. This is pasemi_defconfig for example:
My bad! clobbering_unread_rtas_event should have been static inline
while defining under !PPC_PSERIES
Correct.

Please make sure you test build at least some of the other configurations in
future. I realise it's too time consuming to build all of them, but ideally for
every config symbol you use in your patch you need to build a kernel config
where that symbol =y and =n (and =m if it's tristate).

Sure, Michael. I will keep this in mind :)

Thanks
Hari

cheers