Dan Wilson wrote:
> We are attempting to use an initrd ram-disk as the permanent root file system
> for a MPC8541-based system.
>
> We are using ELDK 4 to cross-compile, and are running linux 2.6.15 kernel,
> with u-boot 1.1.6 as our bootloader.
>
> I built an initrd file system, compressed it, then ran mkimage against it,
> and it seems to be successfully loaded by u-boot, and linux sees the initrd
> file and claims to have mounted it.  However, it then reports that it is
> unable to find any files on the mounted root file system, as shown in the log
> below.  I added some additional diagnostics to show what the error codes
> were, and what was happening, but do not understand what I might have done
> wrong.  If I boot linux from an NFS system or from compact flash, I am able
> to mount the image and see all the files, so I believe the initrd file system
> was created correctly.
    I had similar problems with a permanent initramfs filesystem. It is
possible your problem has nothing to do with your filesystem.

    First, I presume the debugging you added was in init/main.c.
          Before you attempt to exec init, you can add code to open
anyfile that you want on the ramdisk. opening a file requires less
things to be right than exec'ing and that may isolate your problem
further. I beleive you can enable system call tracing and find out more
about where things are going off the rails.
          You can also write a trivial hello world - one that does not
use any libraries and very little code, and see if you can exec that.

    When you boot Linux NFS - are you using the same linux kernel ?

--
Dave Lynch                                                  DLA Systems
Software Development:                                    Embedded Linux

Albert Einstein