On 3/4/07, Mohammad Sadegh Sadri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Money seems to be really important, even when your product is still in beta
> releases ....
>
> At least, my recent experince with the latest release of EDK and more than
> two weeks of trying different approaches to compile the kernel for ml403 is
> telling me that ...

Welcome to the world of embedded development.  Some boards are easy,
some require a fair bit of knowledge to get working.  The Virtex ppc
port still requires a fair bit of elbow grease.

> At the begining stages of my work, some one here told me , "simply use edk
> 8.2.02 to generate the linux bsp and then copy the entire files to kernel
> tree and you are there " ... working and working and working ... I came to
> this solution at last : ( again another sentence from some one else here ) "
> I did not use edk generated files for compiling the kernel, .... I just used
> xparameters.h and then used the paulus patch " Very interestingly, I'm seeing
> that the paulus patch is not applied on the main kernel tree , I don't really
> understand why?

Mostly because nobody has shepherded it into mainline.  Most people
are using the Xilinx drivers, but the xilinx drivers as-is aren't
really suitable for inclusion in mainline (style/layout/conventions
don't match).  Until someone is able to dedicate a fair bit of time to
get the Virtex drivers sorted out, the situation is unlikely to
improve.

> Another interesting point is that the GIT development tree of montavista for
> ML403 is 9 months old ....

That's why I stick with mainline, and I forward port the drivers that I need.

> Finally, you see some new app notes from xilinx xapp969 that tells you that
> you should be able to compile the kernel with exactly no problem and very
> easily if you have purchased either one of montavista or wind river dev
> kits.... So, Is the version of kernel used in these kits different than what
> montavista provides as it's git tree? It should be different because I'm sure
> that copying EDK files into the git tree provided by them just results some
> errors.

I really don't know, you'd need to ask MV.

> Finally we see montavista asking for your registration before allowing you to
> download the preview kit, and then their answer "you are not allowed to
> access the prev kit because .... ..... "
>
> I was expecting linux kernel source to be free .... But it seems that it is
> not free at all.

The GPL license grants to the ability to use/modify/distribute the
kernel source.  It also guarantees that if someone provides you with a
binary image, then you get access to the source code also with all the
rights granted by the GPL.  It does *not* compel someone to give you a
copy of their source/binaries if they don't want to distribute them to
you.  Free refers to freedom to use it, *not* free cost.

That being said; all the components you need are available in the open
without cost, but it requires some effort to piece them together.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.