On Tuesday 09 March 2004 10:20, you wrote:
> Dear David,
> sadly I have got no answer to your question, but I want to ask you
> something:
> Are you using U-Boot for starting Linux?
> If you do, can you give me a short roadmap, how to port to new
> board?

Yes, we are using u-boot.
Well, here's a list of suggestions based on what we did:
1.- Read the README of u-boot.
2.- Assuming there are already other boards with the same CPU and at least a
more or less similar setup that are supported, pick one of them, and copy the
directory boards/xxxx to boards/yyyy (where yyyy is the name of your board).
3.- Go to include/configs and make a copy of the xxxx.h file. Don't forget to
add your board also to the Makefile.
4.- Watch out for special stuff for the board you are using as start, it could
get in your way.
5.- Check if the xxxx's config and board support files are indeed a good
starting point (clean documented sources, using the newest format of config
files and most important, get to fully understand the source).
6.- Look at several other examples to pick up ideas and learn from the
sources.
7.- Configure your board with the design information, and from what you
learned reading README and the examples.
8.- Leave SDRAM configuration for later (assuming you use a MPC8xx processor,
where SDRAM is a special issue), and look if you get something out of your
serial port first.
9.- Use Jtag or BDM interfaces to place the bootloader into flash.
(We used a homebrewed Jtag interface to program the on-board flash, although
everyone and ther brother in this list will probably say that you MUST do it
with the BDI2000 from abatron via the BDM port).
10.- Have a Scope at hand to examine the CS and address lines (if at all
possible). This may help to see what's going on before the serial port comes
into play.
11.- If you have a mpc8xx processor, read the technical notes from Micron
about how to interface SDRAM to the MPC8xx, and how to program the UPM
correctly. There's a tool from Motorola that let's you draw the waveforms on
screen and obtain the corresponding byte-code for the UPM. This might be
handy. Again look at and learn from what others did.

Good Luck!

Best regards,

--
David Jander