On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:09:52 -0800
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am porting a MontaVista Linux for PPC405 and encountering some problems. I
> hope someone can help me find it out.

You didn't say what kernel you're using, or what you're porting to
(arch/ppc or arch/powerpc).

> 1. About the serial port. I have solved this problem, but I don't know why.
> If I set "Initial Kernel Command String" as "console=ttyS0,19200 ip=on
> nfsroot=[my_nfsroot] rw", after outputing "Now booting the kernel" in the
> booting process, the booting kernel seems hanging there. In fact, when I
> checked the log of DHCP server, I found the PPC had already sent DHCP
> requests. It can be infered that the kernel had been booted but serial had
> something wrong, so no other information was output after "Now booting the
> kernel". If I set "Initial Kernel Command String" as "ip=on
> nfsroot=[my_nfsroot] rw", the booting information will appear on the terminal
> window correctly after "Now booting the kernel". I don't know why. I use Uart
> Lite and the baud rate is 19200.

uartlite doesn't show up as ttyS0 IIRC, so your initial console setting
was wrong.

> 2. About the DHCP. The kernel is boot from NFS, so I enabled the DHCP. From
> the information on terminal window, I knew that DHCP requests were always
> time out and the client kept retrying. But when I checked the log of DHCP
> server, I found the server had already offered IP to the client kernel. It
> seems the client kernel has some problem to receive the DHCP offer, has
> anyone encountered similar problems? How to solve this problem?

I've seen that on a board I have.  Haven't debugged it yet
because I had to unhook everything to paint the room it was in.  I
think it's something to do with an initialization race in the EMAC
driver or some other place.

josh