On Friday 01 August 2008, Misbah khan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a DSP algorithm which i am running in the application even after
> enabling the VFP support it is taking a lot of time to get executed hence
>
> I want to transform the same into the driver insted of an user application.
> Can anybody suggest whether doing the same could be a better solution and
> what could be the chalenges that i have to face by implimenting such
> floating point support in the driver.
>
> Is there a way in the application itself to make it execute faster.

Floating-point in the kernel should be avoided. FPU state save/restore
operations are costly and are not performed by the kernel when switching from
userspace to kernelspace context. You will have to protect floating-point
sections with kernel_fpu_begin/kernel_fpu_end which, if I'm not mistaken,
disables preemption. That's probably not something you want to do. Why would
the same code run faster in kernelspace then userspace ?

--
Laurent Pinchart
CSE Semaphore Belgium

Chaussee de Bruxelles, 732A