We are developing a couple of gpt drivers (one for input capture and frequency measurement, one for pwm lcd backlight control) for an MPC512x, and we'd like to find the proper way of inserting it into the kernel.

Currently, the frequency input driver is reserving a character device and registering as a platform device driver with the of_register_platform_driver() calls. The character device interface is given through the old-style cdev_t allocation and deallocation, but I see that maybe this kind of devices, which seems not to conform to any device type, should register as "miscdevice"s, is that correct? This would leave me with only 14 minor numbers free to be allocated. Moreover, there seems to be no way of getting to the device data when using miscdevice's file operations, so we would be on our own allocating more than one frequency input.

Same for the backlight driver: I'd like to have a pmw driver, which I can register a new platform driver, but how do I "glue" it with the backlight driver? I'd prefer not to have direct pwm register calls in the backlight driver, but I'd rather have the backlight driver call a generic pwm driver in order to do its job.

Thanks,
Matteo