On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 04:18:55PM +0200, Jiri Benc wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 11:53:40 +0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > As a future improvement, I think it would be nice if ptp4l sent a
> > notification when exiting so phc2sys could stop its synchronization
> > and wait until ptp4l is running again.
>
> I was thinking about how to implement this. In particular, I'd like
> this to be more robust and detect also ptp4l being killed.

I think a combination of ptp4l sending notification on exit and
phc2sys timing out when no reply is received in the pmc update
interval (1 minute) would be good enough.

Switching to the SEQPACKET socket seems like a lot of work and it
wouldn't detect unresponsive ptp4l, which might be a useful thing to
have (the same applies to the process monitoring).

--
Miroslav Lichvar