On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 14:04:56 +0100, Delio Brignoli wrote:
> Yes, I was thinking it would allow to query if the driver supports this
> feature and get/set current offsets.

I agree. That way, with correctly implemented drivers the user will
get the right correction for free but will be still able to overrule
the values.

What I'm thinking of is having an ethtool operation to get/set
ingress/egress correction. This will be handled in the kernel (i.e. not
propagated to the drivers to prevent misuse). The driver provides
initial correction values (or zero if they're unknown) but user space
is free to alter them or reset them to the initial values. It is
obviously per-interface setting.

A nice bonus is this will work with all program using the time stamping
interface, not just linuxptp.

This is compatible with Richard's patchset, only the config options
would call the ethtool op instead of doing the correction in ptp4l.

 Jiri

--
Jiri Benc